Calcium hypochlorite[Ca(ClO)2] is a white solid inorganic compound, though commercial samples appear yellow, It strongly smells like chlorine, owing to its slow decomposition in moist air. It is preferably used in soft to medium-hard water. Calcium Hypochlorite in powder form contains more amount of available chlorine compared to sodium hypochlorite. It also reports low chlorine loss because of absence of heavy metal impurities.
Main applications of the product include sanitatizing public swimming pools and disinfecting drinking water.
Key Attributes of Calcium Hypochlorite:
- Concentrated form of more than 34% available chlorine compared to 10-12% in Sodium Hypochlorite
- It is more stable than liquid Sodium Hypochlorite when stored properly
- It has low chlorine loss even in changing climatic conditions
- Used as a powerful oxidizer
- Free flowing and soluble in cold water